Tuesday, May 08, 2007

DWTS....

Suluh that is.




Ok, so I've outed myself. I've got an unusual last name. And it rhymes with that dude from the classic Star Trek series played by George Takei:



Hikaru Sulu


When I got married, my previous employer gave me a model of the NCC-1701C Enterprise (not that Sulu served on that ship, but hey, it's a mere detail) on account of my name. Sadly, hardly anyone GETS IT when I say "Suluh, like the guy on Star Trek". Cretins, the lot of them. Oddly enough, The Prince Consort does resemble Sulu a bit. But only a little. See for yourself:





The Prince Consort & The Empress circa 2001


On to DWTSuluh... Actually we met when I was a teacher at a (now defunct) ballroom studio. You could say it was love at first sight dance, but that wouldn't exactly be true. I thought he was kinda nerdy and needed fashion help. QE4TSG anyone? What I fell in love with was his dance ability first and foremost. HONEST!!! I wanted him for a student to break the monotony of newb after newb who was never gonna go past the intro special (4 private lessons, some groups and parties). He was in it for the long haul and was a "lifer" if you will. Well, his first teacher quit and I thought I had a chance. WRONG. His second teacher quit and I thought I had a chance. WRONG AGAIN! Third time is the charm, right? WRONG. He got placed with the studio owner's wife (major strike-out for me) and then didn't renew his lesson contract (yes, it was a contract, no matter how they tried to deny it). What's a girl to do?

Drown her sorrows at the bar and make friends with the bartender Bruce, that's what. So I did just that. Was it coincidence that this same bar was inside the club where TFPC (The Future Prince Consort) went dancing every night? Was it coincidence that I generally had on my fuzzy pink man-catcher sweater? You decide. Now, I wasn't necessarily out to catch THIS man. I'd just broken up with my latest in a string of "inappropriate men" as Alex Karev would say on Grey's Anatomy.

Apparently the sweater worked, though. TFPC snuck up behind me (ninja-like reflexes) and caressed my neck and kissed me. Thoroughly kissed me, I might add. I was SO not expecting that from him. Everyone knows that Asian guys are like SO reserved and non-spontaneous, right? WRONG! Upon later questioning the atypical behaviour, he said (and I quote) "You looked like you needed it..." I still swoon every time I think of it.

We had our first date on February 13th, 2000 and were married on September 2nd, 2000. Funny thing is, when I was praying for a mate, there were only 3 criteria on my list:

  1. Be a better dancer than me
  2. Love me unconditionally
  3. Love God as much as I do

Looks weren't a factor. Money wasn't a factor. Race, etc. Not a factor. All I can say is that the three specifics were answered - even better than I could have anticipated. The fact that we're both gamers, well, that was a bonus that even TPC wasn't expecting.

I'll never forget the first time he realised I'm a gamer chick... I was over at his apartment and he was cooking dinner. I got to claim the PlayStation and got into FFVIII (Final Fantasy 8 for those of you not in the know) when I saw it in the pile of games by the TV. Previously we'd played some samurai something or other (Soul of the Samurai). He never offered FFVIII because in his words "I didn't think you'd be into RPGs" (role playing games, not rocket propelled grenades). I had to school him in the facts that I was BIG into The Black Cauldron and Kings Quest. Can it get any better than this?

Seven years, three kids and 40 pounds later... We're in this for the long haul. And we're loving every minute of it.

Oh yeah... And the sweater got retired a LONG time ago. It served it's purpose.



No comments: