Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dr. Michael Triangto, SpKO

Today I visited Dr. Michael Triangto, a sportstherapy doctor and author on how to be slim and healthy. I was weighed and had my blood pressure checked by a nurse and then was hooked up to a machine to measure body fat, lean muscle mass and water percentages. After that, the doctor checked my heart and vitals and then measured my waist, hips and thighs with a measuring tape before pulling out the calipers to measure whatever it is calipers measure for. He was concerned that I’d had my gallbladder out before I was 40. He told me I was much too young to suffer from gallstones. What I didn’t tell him was that it was over 2.5 years ago. Then there my sister in law and I consulted with the doctor about the plan of attack for becoming healthier.



The Vital Stats:


Body Fat: 57.8% (48kg) Ideal: 28%*
Lean Muscle: 42.2% (33.6kg) Ideal: 45kg
Water: 30.9% (24.6l) Ideal: 51.5%**
Basal Metabolic Rate: 1193 cal.


The doctor warned me that if I didn’t change my lifestyle I’d be in for a slew of health issues like heart attack, diabetes and all the other bad things that go along with being overweight. Which was no surprise considering that I’ve been exhibiting many of the symptoms he’d outlined. He was extremely confident that I could lose 3kg per month for the next 6 months and would be healthier for it. Now here comes the twist in the plot: he counseled me about diet. And unlike every other “diet” plan out there, Dr. Michael’s advice was completely contrary.


~Don’t exercise. Apparently, exercising stenuously while overweight is dangerous for your health. And since I’ve got firsthand knowledge of just how dangerous (stress fracture of the knee), I’m down with this advice.


~Eat rice. [cue James Bond voice] Rice. White rice, steamed. In the US, rice is “teh ebil” and to be avoided at all costs. Not so in Asia. Apparently, not eating rice is heresy or apostasy or some other unconscionable act.


~Eat dinner after 7pm. Eating too early causes blood sugar issues and the urge to snack. Eating at 7 pm with a bedtime within 4 hours of that time is healthier for you. Which I can totally understand.


~Take BIG portions and not small ones. Taking a big portion causes you to actually LOOK at how much you’re eating while taking a small portion means that you say “oh that was just a bite, I can have more”.


I can totally understand if you’re skeptical right now, gentle readers. Especially if you’re in the US. Dr. Atkins would be totally spinning in his grave at this advice. Now on to the more conventional wisdom:


~Walk 30 minutes per day, 3-5 times per week minimum. The catch: NO jogging. No running. JUST walking.


~Drink more water. But NOT soft drinks INCLUDING diet(!) or drinks made with sugar or milk. In fact, milk is prohibited completely or at the very least to be avoided as best as possible. I could dwell on the fact that this totally is going to kill my Starbucks habit, but I’m just not going there right now.


~Eat fruits and vegetables. Except for Durian, Avocado, Mangos, Bananas and a few others that I don’t know the English names for (Sawo, Nangka, Sukun, Termasuk Ubi, Singkong, Talas & Kentang).


~Avoid the following:*** anything fried, made with sugar, chocolate, coconut milk.


After all that, then there’s the training program. At Mal Taman Anggrek (Orchid Garden Mall), Dr. Michael has offices and a ladies-only training facility. Each session is conducted one-on-one with a personal trainer with nurses and oxygen on standby. Each client is monitored for heart rate and respiration. After the training session, comes the stretching and massage.


Start Package****: 2.700.000Rp. ($273USD)


Being told you’re already slimmer than the average American: PRICELESS.


*According to US numbers, 28% would be considered “obese”, however in Asia, that is not the case.


** Apparently, I’m SERIOUSLY dehydrated.


*** By avoid, Dr. Michael is by no means prohibiting the consumption of these things at all, just to not eat them most of the time. Not eating them at all is best but to deny them at all is bad psychologically, according to the Good Doctor.


**** The total package includes 2 consultations with Dr. Michael, 1 fat test & 12 personal training sessions.


Slim+Health SPORTSTHERAPY by Dr. Michael T.
Taman Anggrek Mall 1st Floor, #172
Jl. Letjen S. Parman Kav. 21
Jakarta 11470

No comments: