Friday, November 06, 2009

You Are Golden

Today I got the news that a dear friend of mine had passed away. She was the first of any of my friends to go and it hit me like a ton of bricks. You expect your elderly grandparents to go before you. You expect your family members/friends who have been ill for a long time to go before you. But you don't expect a young woman with a family - even grandkids - to head to the great Beatles Listening Party In The Sky at such a young age and with no apparent warning.

The thing is, my friend Shelly is someone I know only through my computer. She sent me this awesome Facebook flair:


I remember smiling from ear to ear when I received it. Because it sums up a lot of my life. I'm pretty much separated from my friends by distance and so we keep up with each other online. Over the last few years, I've come to know Shelly as being an amazing mom, devoted wife, on fire Christian, lover of the Beatles and Disney and all things wonderful.

She hadn't been feeling well lately and on November 1st had posted to our message board the following:
As soon as I can get one or two good nights sleep I'll be golden:)
Little did she know just how golden she was going to be. The thing is, November 1st is All Saints Day. It's the day that Catholics celebrate all the Saints in Heaven. I firmly believe that God has her in His arms right now.

So I've lit virtual candles for her and will light more at Church on Sunday. If you want to light a candle and say a prayer, you may do so here.

No comments: