Sunday, December 02, 2007

Merry Christmas Baby!

Today is the 1st Sunday of Advent which marks the official "waiting for Christmas" period. While Christmas songs won't be sung in Church until December 25th, and since stores and radio stations are probably inundating you with "holiday cheer", I thought I'd spare you a bunch of agony and just tell you what I think you should be listening to. Generally, I buy one or two new Christmas CDs per year. This year I scored FIVE. And every one is excellent.

Without further ado I present The Empress' Christmas Listening List:

That Special Time Of Year: Gladys Knight & The Pips (featuring Johnny Mathis on 3 tracks)

This album was originally released in 1979 and was re-released in 2006. It tops my list of most listenable. I "heart" Gladys Knight. She's my biggest musical inspiration.





Sounds of the Season: Have Yourself A Very KT Christmas (Target Exclusive): KT Tunstall




Has an AWESOME rendition of Mele Kelikimaka, one of my all time favorite songs. This album is chock full of KT goodness.





Stockings By The Fire: A Starbucks Exclusive


This album is full of classics performed in new and exciting ways. Sarah Maclachlan performs my all time favorite hymn "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" beautifully. It's wistful and longing and so perfect.




Noel: Josh Groban



Lovely and peaceful. And has an awesome rendition of Ave Maria AND Panis Angelicus. It's a Latin hymn double header. And well worth the price of admission.




Holiday Jazz: Lifescapes (Target Exclusive)

As smooth as a warm brandy. And just as tasty. Gets you in just the right frame of mind. Especially when there's a fire going.

So ask Santa to stuff your stocking with one of these. You'll be glad you did!

No comments: