Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Didn't I almost have it all?

June 22nd. Instant:

Oh yeah...

You may or may not know this folks, but I'm a ballroom dance teacher (or was). Well, an opportunioty recently presented itself for me to start teaching again on a volunteer basis at my local
YMCA. I'm ecstatic to be doing this. I really do love imparting some of what I've learned over the last 9 or 10 years, and there's no high like that of having a student finally *get* what you are trying to give them. Truth be told, over the last 6 years, I've kinda missed that. So you can bet I'm grinning from ear to ear over this.

And because of this volunteer work a the Y, I'm in negotiations with my daughter's dance studio to teach there one night a week as well. I'm telling you, I'm on such a high right now that even the 10 loads of laundry I did today don't have me down. Sure, I've got every item of clothing we own (and let me tell you THAT is a LOT of clothes) and our towels and sheets and all, too in HUGE-MONGOUS piles according to what they are waiting to be folded (yeah, yeah) but I'm not sweating it.

The false dichotomy that women can't be fulfilled/intelligent/whatever at home with the kiddos OR that women who work (outside the home) are somehow missing out on something just doesn't apply here. The "have it all" mentality of having to work outside the home to be fulfilled thing just isn't applicable here. Do NOT get me wrong. I love caring for my kids/home/family. It's what I do (second) best. I'll admit I'm a lousy housekeeper. But I'm a damn good dance teacher. I'm funny, I'm smart and dammit, people like me. That's from
Soapdish (IIRC).

Anyways, let me just tell you how much more FUN household chores are when you KNOW your time is limited. It's nice to have a deadline rather than a line that stretches out into infinity. And getting out of the house and playing hooky for a while is a delicious treat, like sneaking a snickers bar when no one is looking...

No comments: