Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Day in the {Vintage} Life

Another imported post from my other blog.

Sometimes you get inspired in the strangest places. This musing was inspired while having a rare treat - a bubble bath. As the scent of Lemongrass and Green Tea soothed my frazzled nerves, I began to wonder... What was the housewife of days gone by's life *really* like. Not what we see on RetroTV or in black and white films. But REALLY.

How does her life intersect with ours in the 21st century? Did she have more or less spare time than we do? Was there a concept of "me time"? And if so, how did she spend that time?

Dear readers, this is a topic I've wanted to explore for quite some time. If you have any insights, please, please share them with me in the comments! I'm thinking of making this into somewhat of a regular feature.

My great grandmother had handtowels made of flour sacking that had the following embroidered on them accompanied by an illustration:
Wash on Monday
Iron on Tuesday
Mend on Wednesday
Market on Thursday
Clean on Friday
Bake on Saturday
Rest on Sunday
I find this blog to be very interesting as our home was built in 1921. It's a little window into what life might have been like in our little town during the same time period. Too bad the last entry is from July of last year. I'd like to have more to read.

This blog entry sums up a day in the life in 1946. I find it particularly interesting because we are a household of 5 also.

No comments: