Wednesday, September 19, 2007

YouTube Strikes Again

Ok, so if you know YouTube, you know The Mean Kitty Song. The same guy who did Mean Kitty did this video. I've commented the "innuendo" video a couple of times and I can't get it out of my head. Not for the reason that Mr. Safety had in mind, I'm sure.

I've been pondering whether or not it "crosses the line". I guess it really depends on what the definition of "is" is. One one level it doesn't necessarily bother me. It's just frakking stupid. And that's OK, I guess. On another level, though, for someone who wants a career in filmmaking, it seems like an amateurish cheap shot.

For instance, Quentin Tarantino started out as an indy filmmaker. Love him or hate him, he really knows how to make a movie. He understands the medium and knows how to use it to tell a story. I'd class him with any of the great filmmakers from the last 100 years.

I guess I'm worried that sophomoric humour is what we've fallen to as a society. Are we doomed to a Beavis and Butthead lifestyle? Or can upcomer indy filmmakers - many of whom are stretching their fledgling wings at YouTube - create real art that entertains?

No comments: