Tuesday, August 28, 2007

To Bux With Love

It's not enough that Starbucks is the gate-keeper of my sanity on a daily basis - but Bux has the most amazing music. And I'm not just talking about the piped in stuff. Which is - in and of itself - rather delightful.

The CDs that are on sale from time to time in my local bux make up the bulk of my new additions to my already huge-mongous music collection. The majority of my recent music purchases have been in digital single format (thanks to Urge), but when I want to drop some change on a full album, Bux is my go-to.

My most recent addition is "Hail, Brittania" - a retrospective of the British Invasion 1964-1969. I was born in 1973 and grew up in ahome where disco/gospel (odd combo I know) ruled, so I was largely unfamiliar with the style of music until high school.



While I'm not a fan of The Beatles as a group, I can appreciate their solo works (and have an opinion on Yoko Ono). I'll spare you both of those for now. The CD from Bux, however, showcases those artists who came shortly after The Beatles broke ground on The Ed Sullivan Show.


Every track is a gem and includes easily recognizable classics like Ferry Cross The Mersey & To Sir With Love as well as pre-Disco Bee Gees. Now THAT is a treat. Even beyond that, the ballroom dancer in me loves how many danceable tracks there are. From Rumba (To Sir With Love) to Viennese Waltz (Go Now), it's an audible treat.


The entire CD sets a mellow relaxing mood (surprisingly) and puts me in a positive frame of mind. Almost like a pumpkin spice latte.


As a bonus, one track in particular (The Supernatural) reminds me a bit of Santana's "Black Magic Woman".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I hear the term "British Invasion" the first song that comes to mind is "To Sir With Love". I also adore the movie, not just because my mother made me watch it once a month! :-)