Monday, October 02, 2006

What Not To Wear - Pilot Episode


This Week's Installment of "What Not To Wear" focuses on "Finding Your Personal Style".

  • Do you have a favorite time period/era in history?
  • Are there particular colors or textures you gravitate towards?
  • Do you know what looks good on YOU?
  • What makes you "feel like a million in a million ways"?

If you can answer those questions FIRST, then you are well on your way to becoming a WNTW-savvy person.

It's taken me a LONG time to define my personal style. A lifetime. But then, that's the whole point. My defining style can loosely be classified as "Vintage Redux". I've always had a soft spot in my heart for vintage/retro styles from the 30s-60s. I like to take a bit of this and a bit of that and merge it together - with sometimes disatrous results. I fancied myself the heroine of "Molly Ringwald" movie from the 80s... Let's just say that it wasn't that attractive on me.

Fast forward 20 years (and it feels REALLY WEIRD saying that!)...

I've found a variety of "real" vintage patterns (not re-releases) that have inspired me as well as repro stuff that is easier to work with (printed instead of notched, correct sizes etc). I've also found some resources for pattern drafting that have been invaluable.

I will enumerate more on that in later episodes.

For now, go browse Vogue magazine or the internet to find the latest fashion trends. Rip out pictures, print them out, make notes, see what you like, what you hate and then get back to me.



No comments: